Back to Delhi

Police Charge Three in Said-ul-Ajaib Building Collapse That Killed Six

Police Charge Three in Said-ul-Ajaib Building Collapse That Killed Six

Delhi Police have filed a nearly 300-page chargesheet before the Saket court against three individuals in connection with the collapse of a five-storey building in south Delhi's Said-ul-Ajaib that killed six people on May 30.

The chargesheet names the building owner, Karamvir Singh, alongside builders Manish Khatri and Avinash Gupta. Investigators stated that the collapse was caused by the illegal construction of additional floors, the deliberate use of substandard building materials, and blatant disregard for mandatory safety norms.

According to the chargesheet submitted to the Saket court on August 13, the three accused have been charged under Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) Sections 105 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 290 (negligent conduct during construction of a building), 125(a) and 125(b) (causing hurt and grievous hurt by rash or negligent acts endangering human life), and Section 3(5) (common intention).

Police investigations revealed that no building plan was ever sanctioned for the structure, nor were any mandatory construction regulations observed during its development. The probe determined that two additional floors had been illegally added to the building.

Under mandatory safety rules, property developers must secure a structural stability assessment and certification from qualified experts to verify whether an existing building can bear additional load before adding extra floors. Police confirmed that no structural tests or certifications were obtained for the Said-ul-Ajaib project.

The investigation further established that builders Manish Khatri and Avinash Gupta were verbally contracted in January to construct two large halls for approximately Rs 1.8 crore. No architect was engaged for the project, and the builders were instructed to connect new pillars to the existing weak structure without structural approvals.

The chargesheet noted that poor-quality materials were knowingly used throughout the structure, with the accused fully aware that the construction breached basic safety standards. A senior police officer said the probe remains under way and that supplementary chargesheets will be filed to examine the alleged negligence of civic authorities.

Share

Related Stories